SMALL BUSINESS SERVER
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server (SBS) 2003 R2 / 2008 is a powerful and feature-rich server package for small businesses.
(Excerpts from the Small Business Server Section of www.microsoft.com)
Small business owners are searching for simpler, less expensive ways to run their businesses and to increase their return on information technology (IT) investment. They rarely have dedicated on-site IT professionals or administrators to run their networks; however, they may use technology providers to acquire IT solutions. These technology providers need to find more cost-effective ways to provide support to their customers.
With features like file sharing, printing, e-mail, faxing, Internet access, and the ability to run line-of-business applications, the Microsoft Windows? Small Business Server provides a complete business server solution. The integrated suite of server products enables companies to share information and resources safely and securely. End-to-end administration features help technology providers set up, run, and maintain their networks productively and efficiently.
Have virtually anytime, anywhere access to your business desktop, including e-mail, files, business applications, and more.
Share resources and equipment, such as Internet access, printers, and fax machines, to get the most value from your technology investments.
Enjoy compatibility and scalability. As your business needs change, Windows Small Business Server can change with you easily add users, servers, and applications, or expand into other Microsoft technologies.
Work more efficiently and add more value to your business with an integrated administrative console.
Work confidently with a top performing network based on Windows Server technologies. Protect Your Business Data Windows Small Business Server helps protect your vital business information from loss, by backing up the data on your network and helping enable you to recover accidentally deleted files. Protect Your Business Data Click screen shot to view larger image.
Keep your computers and servers current and your network healthy and up to date with the latest updates.
Get better control over your business and business information with daily and weekly reports alerting you on the health and security of your technology. A single administrative console gives you or your IT consultant a daily view of PCs and servers and makes it easier to manage common IT tasks.
Grow Your Business Capacity Windows Small Business Server gives you highly secure access to business contacts, calendars, e-mail, files, and other important desktop resources from any Internet-connected computer, virtually anywhere at any time, so you can be productive while you’re away from the office or on the road. Grow Your Business Capacity Click screen shot to view larger image.
Improve your day-to-day efficiency by using a central repository for storing and sharing information.
Connect with customers, vendors, and suppliers easily and professionally, with access to contacts, appointments, and files from any Internet-connected computer or a Windows Mobile–powered smartphone, so you can be responsive even when you are away from the office.
Note: Windows Small Business Server supports up to 75 client computers.
Features at a Glance
The following summary indicated the features of the two editions of Windows Small Business Server
Windows Small Business Server (Standard and Premium Edition)
- Secure, reliable operating system
- File, print, and application sharing
- The power of Active Directory? directory service and its tools Microsoft Windows SharePoint? Services (Standard and Premium Edition)
- Team communication and collaboration environment Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 (Standard and Premium Edition)
- Internet e-mail and messaging solution
- Microsoft Outlook? Web Access, to access e-mail through the Web
- Shared calendaring
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 / 2007 (Standard and Premium Edition)
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 / 2007 product technologies introduce advanced e-mail and calendar functionality to Windows Small Business Server. Exchange Server delivers a seamless end-user collaboration experience and unparalleled security features.
Windows SharePoint Services (Standard and Premium Edition)
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services is a versatile technology that organizations and business units of all sizes can use to increase the efficiency of business processes and improve team productivity. Share internal documents, coordinate calendars, manage issues, and participate in discussions while youre on the road. Windows SharePoint Services gives people access to information they need.
Microsoft Shared Fax Service (Standard and Premium Edition)
- Fax with fewer telephone lines
- Fax from users desktops
- Users can set hours for faxing
- Receive faxes through SharePoint, e-mail, or printer
Windows Server Update Services (Standard and Premium Edition)
- Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) enables deployment of the latest Microsoft product updates to computers running the Windows operating system. It offers automatic system checks for new software updates and makes it easier for you or your IT consultant to monitor and distribute updates.
- Daily report on status of desktops and server(s) running Microsoft software
Microsoft ISA Server (2003 R2 Premium Edition only)
- Secure, shared Internet access
- Routing and network address translation (NAT) services with firewall service
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 / 2008 (Premium Edition only)
- Powerful, secure relational database for running business applications.
- A comprehensive data management and analysis solution that makes it possible to use many server-based business applications, such as accounting, business planning, and contact management software, which share a centralized database so that all employees can work from the same information.
Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 (2003 R2 Premium Edition only)
- Develop sophisticated Web sites
- Create customized solutions for Windows SharePoint Services
Top 10 Reasons to Use Windows Small Business Server 2003
With Windows Small Business Server, now you can:
- Create a central and secure place to store critical business data
- Access to data and applications is centralized, improving employee productivity by ensuring all your employees can get the information they need from their computers.
- Software restriction policies help prevent unapproved installations and help protect against viruses and other attacks.
Guard against data loss
- Volume shadow copy service enables point-in-time backups and helps your backup procedures run quickly and with minimal errors.
- The Backup Configuration Wizard guides you through the creation and implementation of a successful data backup strategy.
Ensure network security, thoroughly and easily
- Wizards simplify security settings and help ensure all the necessary security steps are taken while setting up your network.
- Windows Small Business Server is built on Windows Server 2003, the operating system that has increased available services by 275 percent while mitigating attacks against the server by 60 percent.
- Windows Small Business Server includes an internal firewall and also supports external firewalls.
Keep your business up and running
- Improved monitoring tools and usage reports keep you apprised of network status.
- Windows Small Business Server 2003 / 2008 is built on Windows Server 2003 / 2008, the most reliable network operating system Microsoft has ever delivered.
Access information from anywhere, anytime and any device
- Remote Web Workplace, the new remote portal, allows authorized users to access remote access features by using the Internet.
- Windows Small Business Server Premium Edition, includes Microsoft SQL Server. Businesses running the premium edition can now establish an interactive Web presence with an unlimited number of visitors and can run as many business applications as they need.
Improve team performance through enhanced collaboration
- A pre-configured internal Web Site based on Microsoft Windows SharePoint? Services allows coworkers to share information, including document libraries, announcements, events, and links. Enhanced Microsoft Outlook? Web Access (OWA) enables users to access an Internet version of Microsoft Office Outlook from the Internet to share files and schedules.
Increase sales and reduce costs by analyzing and managing your business with line-of-business applications
- Windows Small Business Server Premium Edition, includes SQL Server. As the foundation for storing and analyzing business information, SQL Server is compatible with more small-business applications than any other data management platform. Working with a broad array of Microsoft partners, small-business owners have more flexibility in selecting business applications to improve operations, reduce costs, and connect with customers. With SQL Server, small-business customers can run several business applications in a simple and cost-effective information technology (IT) environment.
Reach more customers and serve them better, all day, every day
- You can host your own e-mail, create a company Web presence, and access business information remotely. These benefits enable you to conduct business in a professional manner and assure customers that you are the right choice for their business.
Get up and running quickly & easily
- Windows Small Business Server is preloaded on the most popular OEM platforms, meaning you can just plug it in and begin to play in just 15 minutes!
- Online License Activation means you no longer have to deal with floppy disks for client setup.
- Windows Small Business Server is a member of the Windows Server family, meaning the interface will look familiar and will work like the interface in Microsoft Windows.
Get a platform that is easy to grow with today and tomorrow
- The Client Setup Wizard enables you to migrate profile settings (including desktop settings and data) from a peer-to-peer network (based on the Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating systems) without disruptions to users.
- Because Windows Small Business Server and Windows Server 2003 / 2008 Standard Edition, work well together, you can add Windows Server 2003 / 2008 Standard Edition, to your network as a dedicated line-of-business server or as a server dedicated to running Windows Terminal Server in application-sharing mode.
The Migration Pack enables you to grow from Windows Small Business Server to the components included within the product (including Windows Server 2003 / 2008 , Exchange Server 2003 / 2007, SQL Server 2000 / 2005 / 2008, and Internet Security and Acceleration Server).